This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
OBJECTIVES: This study was conducted to assess the value of laparoscopic management of adnexal masses. Two concerns we wish to address are the failure to diagnose early ovarian cancer at laparoscopy and worsening the prognosis of stage I cancer by spilling fluid during surgery.
STUDY DESIGN: The setting is a predominantly referral-based, private subspecialty practice. All operations were prefomerd in the outpatient surgical suite of a large suburban hospital. After extensive patient screenings, which included history and physical examination, preoperative serum CA 125 levels (since 1988), and pelvic ultrasonography, 1209 adnexal masses were managed laparoscopically.
RESULTS: Of 1011 patients with surgical management, ovarian cancer was discovered intraoperatively in four.
CONCLUSIONS: Our findings indicate that with consistent use of frozen sections of all cyst walls and suspicious tissue, laparoscopic management did not alter the prognosis. Neither CA 125 level, pelvic ultrasonography, nor peritoneal cytologic testing had sufficient diagnostic specificity to predict malignancy. Experienced surgeons using intraoperative histologic sampling may safely evaluate adnexal mass laparoscopically.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Laparoscopic excision of ovarian neoplasms subsequently found to be malignant.Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 77: 563-565
- Laparoscopic removal of dermoid cysts.Obstet Gynecol. 1989; 73: 278-280
- Videolaseroscopy: the C02 laser for advanced operative laparoscopy.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 1991; 18: 585-604
- Incidental appendectomy during videolaseroscopy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 165: 559-564
- Management of selected cystic masses in postmenopausal women by operative laparoscopy: a pilot study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 163: 1574-1577
- Videolaseroscopy for oophorectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 165: 1323-1330
- Laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy during pregnancy.J Laparoendosc Surg. 1991; 1: 161-164
- Laparoscopic management of adnexal cystic masses.J Gynecol Surg. 1990; 6: 71-79
- Laparoscopic management of ovarian cysts.J Reprod Med. 1990; 35: 863-867
- Incidence of subclinical metastasis in stage I and II ovarian carcinoma.Obstet Gynecol. 1979; 52: 100-103
- Indications, advantages, and limits of laparoscopy in ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 1979; 7: 47-55
- Laparoscopy combined with peritoneal cytology in staging and restaging ovarian carcinoma.Tumori. 1979; 65: 601-610
Welander CE. What do CA 125 and other antigens tell us about ovarian cancer biology? Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand [In press].
- Sonographic patterns of ovarian tumors: prediction of malignancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 69: 777
- Laparoscopic radical hysterectomy with paraaortic and pelvic node dissection.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1992; 166: 864-865
- Laparoscopically assisted hysterectomy for the management of a borderline ovarian tumor: a case report.J Laparoendosc Surg. 1992; ([In press])
- Prognostic factors in patients with stage I epithelial ovarian cancer.Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 75: 263-273
- Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1988: 819 Novak's textbook of gynecology. 11th ed.
- Tumor implantation after diagnostic laparoscopy of serous ovarian tumors of low malignant potential.Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 68: 902-903
- Metastatic cancer spread at the laparoscopic puncture site: report of a case in a patient with carcinoma of the ovary.Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 1989; 10: 442-444
Accepted: February 18, 1992
Received in revised form: January 3, 1992
Received: September 10, 1991
© 1992 Mosby. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.