Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Blaustein's pathology of the female genital tract.Springer, New York, NY2002
- SEER cancer statistics review, 1975-2007.National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD2009
- What are the key statistics about cervical cancer?.Accessed March 13, 2010)
- 2006 consensus guidelines for the management of women with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia or adenocarcinoma in situ.J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2007; 11: 223-239
- Human papillomavirus genotype attribution in invasive cervical cancer: a retrospective cross-sectional worldwide study.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 1048-1056
- Cervista HPV HR test instructions for use.Third Wave Technologies, Inc, Madison, WI2009
- hc2 High-Risk HPV DNA Test [package insert].Digene Corp, Gaithersburg, MD2007
- Results of a randomized trial on the management of cytology interpretations of atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 188: 1383-1392
- High-risk human papillomavirus testing in women with ASC-US cytology: results from the ATHENA HPV study.Am J Clin Pathol. 2011; 135: 468-475
- Statistical methods in diagnostic medicine.John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY2002
- Bootstrapping methods: a practitioner's guide.Wiley Interscience, New York1998 (8 and 112)
- Table 6.Accessed March 3, 2011)
- Practices of participants in the college of American pathologists interlaboratory comparison program in cervicovaginal cytology, 2006.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010; 134: 331-335
- Five-year experience of human papillomavirus DNA and Papanicolaou test cotesting.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 595-600
- Prevalence of HPV infection among females in the United States.JAMA. 2007; 297: 813-819
- American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology HPV genotyping clinical update 2009.Accessed April 29, 2009)
- 2006 consensus guidelines for the management of women with abnormal cervical cancer screening tests.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 197: 346-355
- Evaluation of human papillomavirus testing in primary screening for cervical abnormalities: comparison of sensitivity, specificity, and frequency of referral.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1749-1757
- Screen-and-treat approaches for cervical cancer prevention in low-resource settings: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2173-2181
- Human papillomavirus DNA versus Papanicolaou screening tests for cervical cancer.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1579-1588
- Estimating prevalence when the true disease status is incompletely ascertained.Stat Med. 2001; 20: 935-949
- Human papillomavirus genotype distribution in low-grade cervical lesions: comparison by geographic region and with cervical cancer.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005; 14: 1157-1164
- Human papillomavirus type distribution in invasive cervical cancer and high-grade cervical lesions: a meta-analysis update.Int J Cancer. 2007; 121: 621-632
T.C.W. has been a consultant and speaker for Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, and Roche Molecular Systems and a consultant for Gen-Probe and Becton Dickenson. M.H.S. has been a consultant in clinical trial and HPV DNA test development for QIAGEN, Roche Molecular Systems, BD, Gen-Probe, Ventana, and Merck. C.M.B., R.A., T.D., and T.L.W. are employed by Roche Molecular Systems, the sponsor of the study. Victoria Tomlinson, Health Interactions, London, England, UK, provided editorial assistance in formatting and proofing of the final draft manuscript, funded by Roche Molecular Systems.
This study was supported in part by Roche Molecular Systems, Inc, Pleasanton, CA.
Cite this article as: Wright TC, Stoler MH, Behrens CM, et al. The ATHENA human papillomavirus study: design, methods, and baseline results. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:46.e1-11.