Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- For privacy's sake, taking risks to end pregnancy.New York Times [Internet edition]. Jan. 4, 2009; (N.Y./Region) (Accessed Jan. 21)
- Southern border brings easy access to abortion-inducing drug.Brownsville Herald [Internet, AlterNet edition]. March 25, 2008; (Reproductive Justice) (Accessed Jan. 21)
- Mail-order abortions.Mother Jones [Internet edition]. Nov. 1, 2006; (Politics) (Accessed Jan. 21)
- A prospective, randomized double-blind trial comparing mifepristone and vaginal misoprostol to vaginal misoprostol alone for elective termination of early pregnancy.Hum Reprod. 2002; 17: 1477-1482
- Vaginal misoprostol alone for medical abortion up to 9 weeks of gestation: efficacy and acceptability.Hum Reprod. 2000; 15: 1159-1162
- Medication abortion.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 52: 140-150
- Misoprostol for uterine evacuation in induced abortion and pregnancy failure.Expert Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 2: 67-109
- Alleged bid to abort leads to baby's death.Boston Globe [Internet edition]. Jan. 25, 2007; (Local) (Accessed Jan. 21)
- The knowledge, acceptability and use of misoprostol for self-induced medical abortion in an urban US population.J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2000; 55: 183-185
- Characteristics of US abortion patients, 2008.Guttmacher Institute, New York2010
- Abortion in the United States: incidence and access to services, 2005.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2008; 40: 6-16
- The characteristics and prior contraceptive use of US abortion patients.Fam Plann Perspect. 1998; 20: 158-168
- Abortion patients in 1995-1995: characteristics and contraceptive use.Fam Plann Perspect. 1996; 28 (158): 140-147
- Patterns in the socioeconomic characteristics of women obtaining abortions in 2000-2001.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2002; 34: 226-235
- An overview of abortion laws, state policies in brief. May 1, 2010; (Accessed Jan. 21)
This article was developed with funding from an anonymous donor.
The study coordination site was the Guttmacher Institute's office in New York City. Data were collected from women at sites in 45 states and the District of Columbia. The only states in which information was not collected were Alaska, Kansas, Montana, New Mexico, and Vermont.
Cite this article as: Jones RK. How commonly do US abortion patients report attempts to self-induce? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011;204:23.e1-4.