Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Bupropion: a review of its mechanism of antidepressant activity.J Clin Psychiatry. 1995; 56: 395-401
- A comparison of sustained-release bupropion and placebo for smoking cessation.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1195-1202
- Pharmacologic treatment of depression during pregnancy.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1264-1269
- Smoking patterns and use of cessation interventions during pregnancy.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 327-333
- Recommendations for the use of pharmacological smoking cessation strategies in pregnant women.CNS Drugs. 2007; 21: 983-993
GlaxoSmithKline Bupropion Pregnancy Registry. Final report: 1 September 1997 through 31 March 2008. Registry Report. Wilmington, NC, 2008.
- Bupropion (amfebutamone): caution during pregnancy.Prescrire Int. 2005; 14: 225
- Bupropion in pregnancy and the prevalence of congenital malformations.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 474-484
- The National Birth Defects Prevention Study.Public Health Rep. 2001; 116: 32-40
- National Birth Defects Prevention Study.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007; 79: 714-727
- National Birth Defects Prevention Study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 745-750
- PHACE syndrome: the association of posterior fossa brain malformations, hemangiomas, arterial anomalies, coarctation of the aorta and cardiac defects, and eye abnormalities.Arch Dermatol. 1996; 132: 307-311
- National Birth Defects Prevention Study.N Engl J Med. 2007; 256: 2684-2692
- Prevalence of congenital heart defects in metropolitan Atlanta, 1998-2005.J Pediatr. 2008; 153: 807-813
- Echocardiographic evaluation of asymptomatic parental and sibling cardiovascular anomalies associated with congenital left ventricular outflow tract lesions.Pediatrics. 2004; 114: 691-696
- Pregnancy outcome of women exposed to bupropion during pregnancy: a prospective comparative study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 932-936
- Preclinical toxicology of bupropion: an overview.J Clin Psychiatry. 1983; 44: 60-62
- Paroxetine and fluoxetine in pregnancy: a prospective, multicenter, controlled, observational study.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2008; 66: 695-705
- First-trimester use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and the risk of birth defects.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2675-2683
- Maternal use of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors in early pregnancy and infant congenital malformations.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007; 79: 301-308
- First trimester exposure to paroxetine and risk of cardiac malformations in infants: the importance of dosage.Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2007; 80: 18-27
- Paroxetine in the first trimester and the prevalence of congenital malformations.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 1075-1085
- Maternal use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and risk of congenital malformations.Epidemiology. 2006; 17: 701-704
Cite this article as: Alwan S, Reefhuis J, Botto LD, et al. Maternal use of bupropion and risk for congenital heart defects. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010;203:52.e1-6.
The National Birth Defects Prevention Study is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.