Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Bupropion: a review of its mechanism of antidepressant activity.J Clin Psychiatry. 1995; 56: 395-401
- A comparison of sustained-release bupropion and placebo for smoking cessation.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1195-1202
- Pharmacologic treatment of depression during pregnancy.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1264-1269
- Smoking patterns and use of cessation interventions during pregnancy.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 327-333
- Recommendations for the use of pharmacological smoking cessation strategies in pregnant women.CNS Drugs. 2007; 21: 983-993
GlaxoSmithKline Bupropion Pregnancy Registry. Final report: 1 September 1997 through 31 March 2008. Registry Report. Wilmington, NC, 2008.
- Bupropion (amfebutamone): caution during pregnancy.Prescrire Int. 2005; 14: 225
- Bupropion in pregnancy and the prevalence of congenital malformations.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 474-484
- The National Birth Defects Prevention Study.Public Health Rep. 2001; 116: 32-40
- National Birth Defects Prevention Study.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007; 79: 714-727
- National Birth Defects Prevention Study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 745-750
- PHACE syndrome: the association of posterior fossa brain malformations, hemangiomas, arterial anomalies, coarctation of the aorta and cardiac defects, and eye abnormalities.Arch Dermatol. 1996; 132: 307-311
- National Birth Defects Prevention Study.N Engl J Med. 2007; 256: 2684-2692
- Prevalence of congenital heart defects in metropolitan Atlanta, 1998-2005.J Pediatr. 2008; 153: 807-813
- Echocardiographic evaluation of asymptomatic parental and sibling cardiovascular anomalies associated with congenital left ventricular outflow tract lesions.Pediatrics. 2004; 114: 691-696
- Pregnancy outcome of women exposed to bupropion during pregnancy: a prospective comparative study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 932-936
- Preclinical toxicology of bupropion: an overview.J Clin Psychiatry. 1983; 44: 60-62
- Paroxetine and fluoxetine in pregnancy: a prospective, multicenter, controlled, observational study.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2008; 66: 695-705
- First-trimester use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and the risk of birth defects.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2675-2683
- Maternal use of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors in early pregnancy and infant congenital malformations.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007; 79: 301-308
- First trimester exposure to paroxetine and risk of cardiac malformations in infants: the importance of dosage.Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2007; 80: 18-27
- Paroxetine in the first trimester and the prevalence of congenital malformations.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 1075-1085
- Maternal use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and risk of congenital malformations.Epidemiology. 2006; 17: 701-704
Cite this article as: Alwan S, Reefhuis J, Botto LD, et al. Maternal use of bupropion and risk for congenital heart defects. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010;203:52.e1-6.
The National Birth Defects Prevention Study is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention .
The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.